The Department of Arts Education (DAE) is committed to supporting the Cleveland Metropolitan School District’s (CMSD) goal to become a premier school district in the United States of America. The DAE achieves its mission to provide high quality arts curriculum and services through arts, classroom instructional support, and the All-City Arts Program. Over 40 Greater Cleveland arts and cultural partners also help deliver arts instruction. The DAE supports all CMSD students to receive a rich, experiential education in dance, drama/theatre, music, and the visual arts as an ongoing part of a comprehensive PreK-12 curriculum.
DAE programs and services capture student interest and develop their arts skills and abilities through two major approaches to arts education:
- Learning in the arts. Students learn through age appropriate, sequential instruction in the arts including, arts skills and techniques development, aesthetics, history of the chosen art form and performing or exhibiting artwork.
- Learning through the arts or arts integration. This approach integrates arts instruction and attendance at events, performances, and exhibits with the study of core academic subjects.
These two approaches enhance overall student engagement and learning in general and ensure rigorous training and preparation for those students who want to pursue post-secondary study in the arts.
In line with State of Ohio Fine Arts Standards, CMSD arts education programs provide students:
- An understanding of the role the arts have in peoples lives, so that students can develop and demonstrate a lifelong appreciation of the historical, cultural and social context of the Arts,
- The ability to effectively express themselves through the Arts,
- The skills to describe, analyze, interpret, and evaluate works of art,
- And the knowledge to develop informed personal opinions that empower them to become patrons of the Arts, and to contribute to a strong cultural community.